Socialists Elect Bertalan Tóth Party Leader

  • 19 Jun 2018 6:55 AM
  • Hungary Matters
Socialists Elect Bertalan Tóth Party Leader
The opposition Socialist Party’s congress on Sunday elected Bertalan Tóth party chairman. Tóth garnered 54% of the votes, while Attila Mesterházy, the other candidate, was supported by 46% of the party delegates.

After his election, Tóth said that he would seek to build a “cooperative party which represents traditional leftist values relentlessly”, one which “believes in solidarity, justice, equal opportunities and national cohesion”.

He added that his party should be a “real community” and “offer hope by protecting those persecuted by the establishment”.

He also said that the Socialists should “implacably criticise” the government and become “the driving force” for a government change.

Tóth said it was inevitable that his party should “face the past”.

He argued that Hungary’s Left had been “lazy” and failed to “express and promote its own truth” while ruling Fidesz promoted a “post-fascist world view” and made it popular.

MTI Photo: Bruzák Noémi

  • How does this content make you feel?

XpatLoop Media Partner

Hungary Matters

Launched in January 2014, this twice-daily newsletter covers 'everything you need to know about what’s going on in Hungary and beyond', according to its publisher the state media agency MTI. Click the title above for more info, and to subscribe.

Explore More Reports

  • "Europe’s Pariah": Opposition Blasts Orbán After Speech

    "Europe’s Pariah": Opposition Blasts Orbán After Speech

    • 18 Sep 2018 7:57 AM

    Group leaders of Hungary’s opposition parties slammed Prime Minister Viktor Orbán’s speech opening the autumn session of parliament, accusing him of misrepresenting the Sargentini report approved in the European Parliament last week and of ignoring Hungary’s real problems.

  • Socialists: Fidesz Waging Austerity

    Socialists: Fidesz Waging Austerity

    • 12 Jul 2018 8:30 AM

    The opposition Socialist Party has accused Fidesz of waging an austerity programme by abolishing the preferential tax in several instances and scrapping employee benefits such as the so-called cafeteria system.