- 1 Aug 2016 12:00 PM
His strong management skills combined with its problem solving ability make him a leader able to take Novotel Phuket Surin through its challenging phase of rebranding. Approachable with guests and with a real passion for services, he is able to understand customer insight and find out way to improve guests’ overall satisfaction and experience. Alexandre is also a great listener, close to his team. He is open to new ideas and always willing to share his experience with them.
Alexandre recently joined Novotel Phuket Surin Beach Resort and has been appointed as Hotel Manager in June 2016. Today, he is using his skills and experience to take Novotel Phuket Surin Beach Resort one step further. He is overlooking the renovation process, upgrade of the facilities and implementing some measures to improve hotels’ services. Each step has been taken in order to ensure a pleasant and memorable experience to the guests staying at Novotel Phuket Surin Beach.
1. Please tell us about your current assignment in Phuket?
I have just recently arrived at Novotel Phuket Surin for a month as the Hotel Manager coming from the sister property Novotel Phuket Karon. I’m here to take in charge the exciting rebranding of Novotel Phuket Surin. The resort is currently going through a big phase of changes in term of renovations, amenities and also services; all which aim to improve the overall performance of the hotel. It’s an exciting challenge for the team and I and our upcoming guests will certainly be pleasantly surprised by all the improvement!
2. How long have you been an expat, where else have you lived?
I have been an expat for nearly 13 years. So far, I have spent most of my time in Thailand between Phuket, Bangkok, Koh Samui and Hua Hin. I have also spent a year in the USA.
3. When you first arrived, what surprised you most about Thailand?
I was amazed by the warmth of the people and their genuine sense of Hospitality. Seeing a smile on every face since my first day in Thailand is something I will always remember.
4. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you choose, and why?
Well, Phuket is a really cool place to be! Why would I go anywhere else!
Besides, I really love Provence, a south region of France, from where I am coming from.
5. Friends are in Phuket for just a few days - what must they absolutely see and do?
Phuket has a lot of attractive places. I always advise people to go for a ride to discover the diversity of the island. All the beaches have different feelings and I highly recommend going to Surin beach and Kata beach. An island hopping day is a must too! The temples are of course part of Thai culture, and a visit at the Big Buddha will give you the opportunity to overlook almost the whole island. A hidden secret is the floating seafood restaurant in town!
6. What was the most adventurous travel trip you have ever taken?
A road trip bike in all wineries in the diverse regions of France. Yes, I am a true French wine lover.
7. What has been the biggest achievement in your life so far?
Working in a lot of different environments brought me a lot both in my personal and professional life! Throughout my diverse assignments, I have got the chance to prove myself. Today, taking Novotel Phuket Surin through an entire phase of rebranding with a new team is a new challenge!
8. What is the secret of your success?
Having a passion in what I am doing. Without passion for hospitality and a strong desire to deliver the best to our guests, team and shareholders, I’m not sure I would still be in the hospitality industry today.
9. What’s your favourite sport / form of exercise?
I really enjoy extreme sports. Phuket has some great waves and I enjoy surfing during the green season and paddle boarding during high season. I am as well a bike enthusiast.
10. What can’t you resist - tell us a guilty pleasure.
A good bottle of wine. I am French after all!
11. What's the last movie you watched, and book you read?
I just watched Batman Begins last night!
I am currently reading “Good to great” from Jim Collins
12. If someone wrote a biography about you, what would the title be?
Let me think about it.
13. What has made the biggest impact on your life so far, and why?
There is a great mentoring culture in the hospitality industry. Along my career path, I got the chance to have a few mentors who helped me grow and develop myself. They shared with me their own experiences and provided me with thoughtful advices which helped me take my career a step further. Today, I am willing to give back and share my knowledge as much as I can.
14. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
The recent terror attack in France and all over the world is a real concern.
15. What was the luckiest moment of your life so far?
I unfortunately haven’t won the lottery yet!
16. If you could trade places with anyone for a week, with whom would it be?
A wine maker in Provence. I have a true passion for the rural accent of this region… and the great wine produced there of course!
17. What career other than yours would you also love to pursue?
I have a big interest in everything related to aviation. After all, it’s another industry where you can work in an international environment!
18. In ten years from now what will you be doing?
Perhaps this same job that I truly enjoy but in a different place.
19. Where is your dream retirement location, and why?
I am far away from retirement! But when the time will come, I would love to share it between Asia and South of France.
20. What could you say is your personal motto?
Do what you love and you will succeed.