Szabolcs (Szab) Gáll, Legal Director of Tesco, is Hungarian by birth, but grew up and was educated in Canada. He is an English qualified solicitor currently working as the Legal Director for Tesco in Hungary. Prior to joining Tesco in 2011, he was the Chief Legal Officer of Invitel from 2009.
Before that he spent most of his legal career with Clifford Chance, having worked in London, Frankfurt and Moscow.
Szabolcs has a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Psychology and a Bachelor of Laws Degree from the University of Western Ontario. He is currently enrolled in the Executive MBA Program at Central European University. He enjoys spending his free time with his wife and young daughter as well as playing soccer (football), golfing and hunting.
1. When did you arrive in Hungary and what brought you here?
I came to Hungary first in 2004, left in 2007 and returned once again in 2009.
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
Yes, in a number of jurisdictions, having spent a few years in London, UK, Frankfurt, Germany and Moscow, Russia.
3. What surprised you most about Hungary?
I was pleasantly surprised about the quality of life and work/life balance one can achieve here.
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
Some typical places such as the Baths, State Opera and Castle District, without missing a trip to the vásárcsarnok and the Zwack Museum for a tour and tasting.
5. What is your favourite Hungarian food?
Csirkepaprikás will always be my favourite, followed by some palacsinta.
6. What is never missing from your refrigerator?
Palinka and Turo Rudi (which my wife loves).
7.What is your favourite Hungarian word?
Hózentróger. It always makes me laugh.
8. What do you miss most from home?
A good ceasar salad and cheesecake.
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
10. What's a job you would definitely never want?
11. Where did you spend your last vacation?
12. Where do you hope to spend your next holiday?
13. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
James bond films – still my favourite.
14. What can't you resist?
15. Red wine or white?
16. Book or movie?
17. Morning person or night person?
Night. Impossible for me to wake up early.
18. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
19. Buda or Pest side?
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
Treat people how you like to be treated.