"The now ruined Romanesque-style basilica and abbey was erected in the 11th century and later rebuilt in Gothic style. A cemetery chapel and a cemetery have been excavated, as well as a medieval stonewall embracing the whole building complex.
Due to the presence of the abbey an important cultic and cultural centre evolved in Somogyvár. Thus the excavated and partly reconstructed ruins were pronounced national historical heritage in 1983.
According to tradition, King Saint Ladislaus on his return from the Slavonian campaign made a vow under Castle Hill to build a Benedictine abbey. In the founding charter dated 1091, the king gifted the huge church dedicated to St Egidius and the abbey built on the southeast side of Castle Hill to Benedictine monks from the French town of Saint Giles. He even appointed his sacred place, Kupavár Hill, as his own burial place."
This is part of the Xploring Hungary series sponsored by FoxAutorent, 'The Leading Independent Car Rental Company In Hungary'. Save 5% on car rental by using the Fox Autorent booking engine on XpatLoop.com
How to get there:
The town lies 26 kilometres from Lake Balaton, 12 kilometres south from Lengyeltóti. By railway, travel to Fonyód or Kaposvár and take a train to Somogyvár. By car take the road between Kaposvár and Fonyód.
Address: Somogyvár, Várhegy