- 25 Apr 2018 12:54 PM
5 egg yolks
30 g vanilla sugar
150 g sugar
100 g margarine
250 g flour
1 liter milk
5 egg whites
zest of 1 lemon
margarine to grease baking pan
Preparation time: 1.5 hours
In a large bowl mix egg yolks, vanilla sugar, sugar, pinch of salt. Add margarine and the lemon zest. Add flour and milk gradually to sugar mixture, beating to a thin smooth batter.
Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt, until stiff peaks form, then add it carefully to the pancake dough.
Coat the bottom of a 26 cm baking pan with margarine, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and pour the dough into it. Sprinkle the top with small pieces of margarine. Put into a cold oven, then turn on the heat to 150 ºC and bake it for 1 hour.
When the pie is done, cool for a few minutes, then cut into 8-10 bars. Serve it with apricot jam, but it tastes delicious by itself as well.
* Use hand mixer to get a smooth batter.
* Do not add baking powder or baking soda.
* Cool the egg whites before beating.
* Add a pinch of salt or a few drops of lemon juice to the egg whites, to make it easier to beat.
* Mix only half of the beaten egg whites to the dough, then carefully fold in the other half, without breaking it up much.