- 10 May 2012 12:00 PM
From 1994 to 1998, Dr. Beck served as Chief Executive Officer of Digital Hungary before its acquisition by Compaq. Mr. Beck has been Chairman of the Board of Vodafone Hungary Mobile Telecomunications Company Ltd since March 2010.
He is married with three children.
1. Where did you grow up?
Was born in a small town, 70 km from Budapest, called Cegléd and lived there until started university in Szeged. After graduation came home to Cegléd and started family here. As my workplace was in Budapest I was commuting from Cegléd every day. Since 2005 I have a flat in Budapest as well, as all of my children are either studying or working in the Capital.
2. If you could be an expat anywhere in the world, where would you choose?
Australia or Canada
3. What would you miss most if you moved away from Hungary?
Definitely the friends and some of the Hungarian fruit. If I could bring my family I would not miss them.
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
Walk on Váci street, go to Hero’s Square, to the Castle district. If they had slightly more time, would recommend Szentendre. I would also recommend several good restaurants, like Giusto, Fausto’s or Symbol. If it would be about off the typical tourists paths: an evening concert at the Opera House, and maybe a sport event, like an interesting waterpolo game.
5. What is your favourite food?
Stuffed cabbage – my mother is preparing it for me for my birthday every year.
6. What is your favourite sport / form of exercise?
I am still an active sportsman, have 2 – 3 water polo trainings per week. Just going to Eger after this interview because the team is playing there.
7. What is your favourite place in Hungary?
Cegléd, my home town, and I also like Szeged very much. In Budapest there are nice places to go, too.
8. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
I am happy with mine, would not change. Dream career would be to be a coach of the national waterpolo team.
9. What’s a job you would definitely never want?
10. Where did you spend your last vacation?
In Turkey with my “extended “ family, wife, 3 children, they spouses, nephew and niece, 10 altogether.
11. Where do you hope to spend your next one?
Will go to London to the Olimpics, with the Hungarian National Waterpolo Team. In August going to Germany with the family. My son starts a job there in July.
12. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
Bands: LGT, ELP
Film: Hair and “End of the day” with Ingmar Bergman
Hobby: math and waterpolo
13. What can’t you resist?
Anything my children ask from me.
14. Red wine or white?
Red from György Lőrincz
15. Book or movie?
16. Morning person or night person?
17. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
General education – bringing knowledge to the public, so people could be part of the World.
18. Buda or Pest side?
Buda- like it slightly more, but if it would be about the district, it’s 13th. (it’s in Pest)
19. Which achievement in your life are you most pleased about?
My three children: my oldest daughter is working for Boston Consulting, my younger one studies law and working at a Law Firm and my son is studying economics.
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
I like to work in the best team, in the best environment and do the best job
Click here to see his Xpat Interview Two