- 1 Jul 2014 12:00 PM
He has experience gained over 25 years career with Marriott International holding various executive positions across Europe, Asia, Middle East and Africa.
His previous positions included Director of F&B at the JW Marriott Mirage City in Egypt, Director of F&B at the Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze, Director of Operations at the Warsaw Marriott Hotel, Opening General Manager of the Courtyard Prague Flora and Cluster General Manager for the Courtyard by Marriott Prague Airport & Courtyard by Marriott Pilsen.
He is a native Dutch and fluent in German and English.
1. When did you arrive in Hungary and what brought you here?
On the 24th of March 2014, transferred with Marriott International from Prague, Czech Republic
2. Have you ever been an expatriate elsewhere?
I left my home country in 1988, have been traveling since that time, USA, England, Germany, UAE, Egypt, China, Switzerland, Poland and Czech Republic.
3. What surprised you most about Hungary?
That the summers get extremely hot and that there are still many shops who make handmade shoes, I think that is fantastic and rarely seen in Europe.
4. Friends are in Budapest for a weekend - what must they absolutely see and do?
They need to rent a Segway and stroll throughout the entire city, it’s too big to walk it in a weekend. Have a typical Hungarian meal at one of the “old” Hungarian restaurants to flavor the culture.
5. What is your favourite Hungarian food?
Homemade Spicy Hungarian Gulash with plenty of bread.
6. What is never missing from your refrigerator?
Milk for my favorite morning drink – Café Latte.
7. What is your favourite Hungarian word?
Don’t have one so far, barely able to say good morning / good afternoon / good night
8. What do you miss the most from home?
Dutch treats like “stroopwafels”, “drop”, “borrelnootjes” and many other items which are typical Dutch and hard to get in other countries.
9. What career other than yours would you love to pursue?
10. What's a job you would definitely never want?
11. Where did you spend your last vacation?
British Virgin Islands
12. Where do you hope to spend your next one?
Sint Maarten – sailing with my family.
13. What was your favourite band, film, or hobby as a teen?
Favourite band: The Police
Film: Flying High
14. Apart of temptation what can't you resist?
Great steak from the BBQ.
15. Red wine or white?
I prefer heavy red wines.
16. Book or movie?
17. Morning person or night person?
I perform best in the morning, like to wake up early, nice and quiet.
18. Which social issue do you feel most strongly about?
Helping children / young adults who have had or are having a difficult time within the society either from a family perspective or from an economic stand point.
19. Buda side or Pest side?
As the capital is called BUDAPEST, I like both sides.
20. What would you say is your personal motto?
The future is tomorrow, don’t waste too much time on the past.